Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Welcome to the Epidemiologist!

"You have such crazy stories. You should write them down."

I can't tell you how many times colleagues have told me this.

I am the Chief Epidemiologist of a large public health department. My jurisdiction encompasses a population of about three-quarters of a million people -- larger than some states. I oversee infectious disease investigations, disaster epi, and occasionally am involved in some chronic disease surveillance.

So this is my blog, my collection of stories about the life of a disease detective. Hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Great title..."Look! There, on the horizon! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, wait, it's The Epidemiologist!!"
    "Mr. President, 'The Epidemiologist' is here to see you, and she looks angry."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an epidemiologist too and I came across your blog by total chance.. Lately, I've been having a generalized sense of 'dissatisfaction' with what I do.. Reading some of your blogs allowed me to better characterize what's bothering me..
    What lured me to pursue a career in epi was the potential of making an immediate impact on public health.. But being a researcher in chronic disease epidemiology does not give me this kind of gratification, well not on the short-term... so anyways.. i am faced with the challenge to not allow my passion and my workto diverge from each other..
    Thanks for posting.
    ~Dr G, too :)

    ReplyDelete