Monday, April 27, 2009

Swine Flu Day

This has been my day. The phone rang constantly, to the point that I had to set it to go immediately to voicemail. As I checked my voicemail, more messages rolled in. Most of the calls were from physicians. Guidance from the state health department told them to contact their local health department for additional information. Unfortunately, we do not have the answers yet either. My health department has very limited lab capacity, yet all these providers want testing for swine flu.

Many of them are seeing positive influenza A in their offices. I have been trying to get their specimens to the LRN for additional testing. So far we have no confirmed cases, but I suspect it is only a matter of time.

I am also getting calls from the schools -- should they close or not? And city leaders -- what should they do? I advised EMS to mask up when on runs with febrile patients.

Are we all going to die???

The problem here is lack of information. Please be patient with us -- we are doing our best to give good advice, but the known is so limited at the moment. And it changes literally minute to minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment